July 4, 2011

Let's Celebrate Our Independence!

Happy 4th of July! A day of independence and remembrance. Last year, I blogged about my heroes and their sacrifice to ensure our freedom. This year, I'd like to reflect upon what personal freedom means to me.
I have the freedom to choose where I live, where I worship, who I love and what I choose to do with my life. I come and go as I please, have a good job that I enjoy, and can get together with friends whenever I want. I was blessed to be able to get an education and advanced degree at the university of my choosing. My parents didn't choose my husband for me, and he is now a part of our family and I am a part of his. I don't have to hide my Christianity for fear of persecution. We can travel freely throughout this great land in exploration of new destinations. I can surf the internet and put my personal thoughts out there on this blog for others to read without someone knocking on my front door and hauling me to jail for my opinions.
These are just a few simple pleasures in life. Simple pleasures that I can enjoy because I was fortunate enough to be born in the United States. I'm fortunate enough to live in a country where men (like my brother) and women choose to serve in our Armed Forces and defend these simple freedoms. For that choice and their sacrifice, I am forever grateful.
Celebrate your independence in whatever way you choose. That is one of your freedoms!

No comments:

Post a Comment